Monday, June 28, 2010

True Blood Recap, 3.02 Beautifully Broken

Here's this week's The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly break down of True Blood 3.02, Beautifully Broken just as soon as I'm done staring at myself in the mirror in the ladies room with Pam.  Sorry it is late but I had a work trip and got a fellowship to finish my dissertation OH DEAR GOD I MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE TO GROW UP AND GRADUATE AND GET A JOB AND BE SCHOLARLY OR SOMETHING ALREADY. Needless to say, spoilers abound so don't read until you've watched it.    

The Good

  • Russell Edgington, vampire king of Mississippi and there is just so much to love about him.  There's the white stallion, the gay bluetooth security mafia, the red waist coat, the "we don't need to say everything we think," the smarm, the accent, the wonderful creepiness of him.  I just wonder how he knows so much.  How does he know that Bill killed Sookie's kiddy fiddler of an uncle?  How in the holy hell does he know who Sookie is?  I wonder if he knows about Sookie's magic fingers of electric mysterious mysticism.   
  • Lafayette works two legal jobs and hustles on the internets and sells V to support his mother's life at the looney bin?  I didn't think it was possible to love him even more -- because I'm a little bitch for him anyways -- but once again, his character proves to be one of the best changes from the books. Not to mention his whole exchange with Lettie Mae when he says that "You're too busy praising Jesus to realize that your daughter tryin to move in with him permanently."  I just want the other Jesus, you know the one who spits in Ruby Jean's food through those rotten cheese teeth, to be good for our boy.      
  • Sookie and Jason's exchange about the existence of werewolves was For The Win!  But when she said, "I keep expecting him to come through the door and say Suuuukkeh" the scene became EPIC.  
  • Passionate primal sex with Eric.  (Btw, welcome back book Eric)   
  • Jessica, Jessica and Pam, Jessica with a chainsaw, Jessica spraying Lysol to cover up the scente of decaying trucker flesh, Jessica and her torment over Hoyt and her new killer nature.  Shall I go on?  
  • What the fuck is Franklin Mott up to with those ugly assed cowboy boots?  Discovering a dossier on Sookie at Bill's?  Hmmmm it looks like they ARE keeping a plot point from the books. I don't really care, he just needs to keep being scruffy and talking in that sexy accent even though he looks sort of manorexic.  (Paging my bad boy fetish in 3...2...1...)
  • Terri Belfleur because who doesn't have a funny cousin like that?  Plus, with an armadillo named Felix, what's not to like?  Granted, I find him way more compelling than Arlene but that's just me being picky.  

The Bad

  • Bill with furry wolf ear between his teeth.  A genteel southern man like that should have better table manners.  
  • Operation werewolf.  Seriously?  Eric and Godric in Nazi uniforms? I just....  well....  I've just accepted that there is no bridge too far for True Blood.  And that is OKAY with me.  
  • I'm still not feeling the Sam and his long lost family story line.  How the hell does it fit in with the rest of the plot?  I just don't see it.  I suspect that the vampire blood as sacred thread is going to be what ultimately ties everything together but so far Sam doesn't really seem connected to that.   Aside from that, Sam's white trash family live in what looks like my college boyfriend's house, replete with shitty furniture, empty beer bottles and a kickass television.     

The Ugly

  • The amber glowy werewolf eyes.  Isn't it enough that they can become wolves? 
  • Tara and the substance abuse and the self loathing.  Again.  WTF happened to season one Tara?  I miss you.  When Tara asks "What the hell is wrong with me," my internal bullshit meter says PLENTY but it is mostly the fault of the writers.  And then Franklin holds the rednecks while she beats the shit out of them.  It's like Maryanne all over again.  Also: Why is Tara's whole character since season 1 totally determined by her boyfriends? We wimmens have more to life than our boyfriends.  Just saying...   
  • Jason and Andy.  At the end of last season I was stoked for a story line of the two of them together fighting crime on the mean streets of Bon Temps.  Now?  Not so much.   

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I agree with all. I must admit I'm a little bored with the season, so far. Alcide was a great addition in the third episode and Brit Morgan as Debbie Pelt in two weeks will be rawkin'. http://tinyurl.com/2dgk9yf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'll have more to say about Alcide in the next recap but I was left wanting more of him! I'm just left with the feeling that the hype was too much and it will take a lot to live up to it. I mean, HBO might as well have marketed the show as a cure for cancer because (at least my) expectations were just so high.

    ReplyDelete