Monday, July 12, 2010

True Blood Recap, 3.04 9 Crimes

This week's The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly recap of True Blood, 9 Crimes just as soon as I'm done grilling hot dogs in the parking lot at Merlotte's.  Overall, it was a good episode and it is nice to see some semblance of a cohesive story coming together.  And the bright red thread tying most of the disparate story lines together is V.

The Good

  • Oh, Sookie, you dirty little hooka -- and I mean that as a compliment.  Sookie nearly jumps Alcide to the point where he feels uncomfortable and goes to put a shirt on.  Damnit.  And the near-jumping happens immediately after Bill breaks up with the Sookster over the phone -- the shock! the horror!  Can you imagine if he dumped her by text?  She would've fucked Alcide straight away.  But Sookie was at her endearing, earnest, fierce, naive best in the episode -- from being convinced that Bill needs to break up with her in person, to knocking back shots in the bad girl leathers, to confronting Debbie Pelt.  She might be downright fucking annoying sometimes, but she is never insincere and 9 Crimes put all of that front and center.  
  • Bill's seemingly complete turn to the dark vampy side.  Is he doing it to protect Sookie?  Is he doing it because it's his nature and he can't resist any more?  Or to save his own skin? Or is there some bigger diabolical plan in place?  Who the hell knows, but Bill's simmering constipation anger from Seasons 1 and 2 finally have some context and it makes him a much more interesting character.  And hotter!  Sweet Jeebus, give that man long sleeved black t shirts for the rest of the show.  Maybe it's because I just finished "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" but I can't help thinking that there are going to be some long-term consequences that Bill isn't considering at the moment.  Like letting it get out that he was sent to procure a certain waitress from Bon Temps.                
  • Eric, Lafayette, Pam, and the V trade. Possibly one of the best moments in the episode was Eric flying in to back Lafayette up and close the deal out in Hot Shot.  The "Let's go, Ru Paul," line was funny but it led to a bit of brilliance with Eric tutoring Lafayette in how to make friends and influence lower level drug pushers. Obviously Bill's little bit of intel about the Queen making Eric sell V went directly from Russell to the Magister.  Eric and Pam's quick thinking to cover their asses with the Queen, set up Bill and buy time was still more brilliance -- and consistent with their relationship.  Speaking of The Magister, how is he for a frightening villain and and indication of things to come later in the season?  Not too shabby.  Kind of makes Maryanne look like child's play. 
  • Lorena's neck crack after the best sex she's had in decades!  
  • Flying Eric FTW!        


The Bad

  • Russell Edgington is the great Nazi-werewolf-vampire-master of yore!  While this whole story line certainly isn't boring there are some cheese-heavy elements involved in this story line:  the V in communion cups, religious music, and general white trash stereotypes are a bit heavy-handed. 
  • Franklin Mott went from a short stack of sexy sinew to a fucking scary freak.
  • Jason thinking that he is smart enough to blackmail Andy into becoming a cop.  Jesus, get this man a piece of ass before he goes any further.  Seriously.  
  • Eric's daydream about Sookie.  Yes, it was hot.  Incredibly hot.  But I'm tired of seeing these two dream about getting it on.  Something has to happen.  
  • There wasn't nearly enough Jessica.
  • I'm warming to Sam's story line only because he was so compelling at describing his struggles as the motivation for helping Tommy.  But, I'm also increasingly convinced that the Mickens are running a long con on Sam.  
  • Alcide could've let that robe open up a little bit while he was cooking that steak for breakfast.  

The Ugly

  • Tara duct-taped to a toilet.  At least she struggles.  That suggests some agency, I suppose.  Or at least a desire not to get a raging case of hemorrhoids.    
  • Debbie Pelt's hair and makeup.  There's playing the white trash card and then there is playing the 1980's white trash card.  Second runner up:  Debbie Pelt's underwear clad crowd surfing.  Third runner up:  Coot licking Debbie's fresh brand. Gr-o-ss.       
  • I'm getting tired of the Gomer Pile-esque, slack-jawed yokels of Bon Temps.  Like the dude who gave Bud Dearborn his new dancing boots shoes.  Or the football dude.  I'm over it.   

2 comments:

  1. Another insightful recap! I agree on just about every point. I was over Gomerfest as early as the pilot episode. Ugh. I learned to suffer through. Sookie was much more interesting this week. I think that will progress nicely over the course of the season. I really like Bill this season and that's a change for me. Whatever the writers have cooked up for him, it's got me captivated. Great scene where he glamoured the stripper. He looked SO FUCKING HAUNTED in the last few seconds of that scene. Not a fan of Franklin Mott. Can't stand Jason Stackhouse. There is never, ever enough Jessica. Yes to long con on Sam. Tara who? Meh. While I don't care about Joe Manganiello's physique (other than the fact I wish I had it), he's doing a great job with Alcide. The character is protective and loyal, two of my favorite traits in real people and in TV roles. I must disagree with your rejection of Debbie Pelt's appearance. I like my Debbie Pelt (and my Brit Morgan, for that matter) as trashy as possible. The 80's aspect (Ha!) just indicates how lost/clueless/crazy she is and how far in the gutter she's fallen. From the moment she ABSOLUTELY VOMITED the line "I don't need your pussy pack!", I was in a trance. If they want to parade her around in her unmentionables or provide multiple tush shots (like right after her branding) I will be the very last person in line to complain. I'm going to be shallow like a kiddie-pool when it comes to Debbie/Brit this season. Again, another great recap.

    P.S. You should add The Passage by Justin Cronin to your reading list. I'm in the middle of it now and I must say that the reviews were right and it lives up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the book version of Debbie Pelt is so strong my mind's eye that the True Blood take on the character just didn't feel right. It will take me some time to adjust. With that being said, I think that Brit Morgan's performance was fantastic.

    I've got The Passage in my TBR pile. I'm trying to decided wether to read that or The Girl Who Played With Fire next.

    ReplyDelete