Monday, May 3, 2010

I am woman-child, hear me roar!

I happily made it through another visit from my parents.  Really, my parents are awesome aside from comments about my hair (WHY IS IT SOOO DARK?  WHY IS IT STRAIGHT - IT DOESN'T LOOK RIGHT STRAIGHT!).  They escaped the cold snowy north to come down to celebrate my birthday, help out with a broken dishwasher issue, and complain that our air conditioning was too cold.  Birthday celebrations were a lot of fun, although I remembered that wearing 4 inch heels generally either makes me drink more or makes me feel the effects of alcohol a lot more drastically. While my mom sensibly went to bed at a reasonable hour, my dad, the LSH, and I stayed up drinking and bullshitting until 3:00 am on Saturday night.

Bright and early Sunday morning my mom decided it was time for me to go buy a new dishwasher. Let me back up here. Our dishwasher has been hurtling towards its inevitable demise since the day the builder installed that piece of shit when he built the house.

My mom hauled our two very hungover asses to Sears on Sunday morning.  My dad and I were hurting.  Looking at the bank of dishwashers I was clammy, sweaty, disoriented, and highly irritable.  My mom goes on and on about which options do I want, do I want adjustable racks, stainless or plastic inside, how many decibels, blah blah blah.  Who knew picking out a dishwasher could be so complicated?  During all of this, I look over at my dad and notice that he too is suffering.  He is actually sitting on the fake counter with his head tipped back and eyes closed probably praying for some sleep to make it all stop.

Finally, I muster up the energy to say to my chipper mom "Something that won't break, that is quiet, stainless exterior, and doesn't have any ugly buttons on it. Otherwise you pick.  I don't care."  Yeah, I totally ceded the dishwasher decision to my mother.  I am such a woman-child.  I just want things to work, I don't need to know all the details.  She picked one out.  We mercifully checked out with the help of an all-too perky clerk who informed us that my newly purchased dishwasher would be delivered on May 25.  May 25th?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  WTF?  But before my ire could build, I just went limp.  The hangover sapped all the fight out of me.  Until then, it's hand washing (joy!) or paper plates (more likely).      




 

2 comments:

  1. Replaced my piece-of-absolute-sh*t, original install dishwasher a couple of months ago. WHY WHY WHY did I not do that sooner? I know exactly how you felt that morning (all too well). It was probably hard to muster much appreciation for the purchase seeing as how you were being forced to shop at gunpoint with a bad case of booze punishment. Trust me, when you run that puppy for the first time you will call your mother and thank her profusely. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are probably right. The original dishwasher has been a complete pain in the ass. What I left out of the blog was that every time my parents came to visit, my dad and I would inevitably have to fix some part of it. I think my mom's frustration with as much with the machine as it was with our tinkering.

    ReplyDelete