Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sons of Anarchy: What is a Widening Gyre?

If you've been asking yourself, what is a widening gyre and what the hell does it have to do with Sons of Anarchy, you're not alone. My SAT vocabulary went right out of my head as soon as I finished taking the exam. A bit of Googling reveals that a gyre is a vortex that usually occurs in nature like a cyclone, hurricane, or an ocean gyre (that swirly thing in the middle of the picture above). It seems to me that for Sons of Anarchy, the widening gyre is this perfect storm of Abel's abduction, problems with the Irish, relationship problems for Jax and Tara's tru lurv, the brewing problems with the Mayans, and the people of Charming turning on SAMCRO. When you add it all up, how much worse could it get? Much worse, I'm sure. 


But wait! There's more. And it's literary. Apparently Kurt Sutter has been reading Yeats. W. B. Yeats wrote The Second Coming in 1919 that essentially a post-apocalyptic view of the world in advance of the second coming. Sure he wrote it as an allegory for post-war Europe but read it's much more fun to read it in the context of Sons of Anarchy--particularly because the previous episode was titled Turning and Turning. Take a gander for yourself: 



Turning and turning in the widening gyre 
The falcon cannot hear the falconer; 

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; 
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, 
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned; 
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity. 
Surely some revelation is at hand; 
Surely the Second Coming is at hand. 
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in the sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man, 
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun, 
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds. 
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, 
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?



At first glance anarchy loosed on the world suggests that SAMCRO is going to Ireland. The bloody tide means that this vortex of violence, consequences, and revenge is going to be deadly. Innocence gone? Perhaps this suggests that Jax will no longer idolize John Teller after he gets a more realistic picture of the man. The good losing their conviction and the bad are strong and willful--does this mean that SAMCRO's enemies might triumph this time? 


What do ya'll think? The comments section awaits. 

4 comments:

  1. Ooo... cool! Glad to know we're not talking about cheese. I think this means I should probably come up w/ some sort of Pepto cocktail for Tuesdays b/c I don't think this SOA sickness is going to get any better this season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for explaining this! I just know the next two episodes are going to be intense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey good info on SOA I don't have a blog. Just recently got into social networking. I love good tv shows,and old western movies..lol I love SOA.burn notice ,tosh.0, royal pains...etc I was googling or maybe it was bing , anyway a lot of SOA fans got their feathers ruffled, saying that kurt sutter was blocking people from his twitter list and his blog for asking questions about phones,and shoes..lol. I wonder if their is any truth 2 that...anyways you have a cool little blog here. I live in florida. And in a small town too... I will keep reading... u keep posting.. follow me on twitter too @reapermanclay@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is clay again I made a boo boo on my twitter name .....
    @reaperbuck ,that is my twitter name. like I said I am new to socialnetworking and all that biz...

    Take care

    ReplyDelete