Monday, March 22, 2010

Did I ever tell you the story....

Did I ever tell you the story of how I discovered Sons of Anarchy?  No?  Well, here goes.  You might have noticed that I've referenced a certain vampire-based show on HBO now and then.  That's right.  I'm a True Blood refugee.  Way back in 2009 before man had invented the wheel, fire, Dunkin Donuts coffee, and the internet, I was glued to the television like a heroin addict every Sunday night for a bit more of the unfolding totally engrossing yet simultaneously whackadoodle goings on in Bon Temps with all things Sookie related.

(For those of you who have watched True Blood:  Yes, I've read all the Sookie books.  Yes, I'm totally okay with Alan Ball doing what he does on the show - otherwise we wouldn't have the fabuloisty that is Lafayette. And yes, I hate Bill's hair too.  And for the best True Bloog gif of all time that pretty much sums up the show click here)

With the end of Season 2 of True Blood, the associated withdraws, and a fresh semester ahead of me, I had coffee with a friend who had just graduated.  I'll call her Dr. Smartypants.  So in between bitching and moaning about the lack of progress on my dissertation and congratulations on her awesome new job, True Blood withdraw symptoms came up.  Our exchange went a little something like this:

Dr. Smartypants:  You know, there is this show on FX that you might like.
Kayteadee:  Mneh
Dr. Smartypants:  No, really.  Mr. Smartypants started watching it last season and I sort of co-opted into watching it with him.
Kayteadee:  Nothing can take the edge of off waiting to see what happens to Bill and Sookie next. NOTHING.
Dr. Smartypants:  Wait, just hear me out, vampire girl.
Kayteadee:  Fine... go on already
Dr. Smartypants:  So it's the show on FX about bikers.
Kayteadee:  Bikers?  Really?  Mneh.  
Dr. Smartypants:  No, but it's like the biker version of The Sopranos but BETTER
Kayteadee:  Okay, maybe.  Just maybe I'll check it out.
Dr. Smartypants:  No, not maybe.  Go buy Season One now.  Before Season 2 starts.  As soon as we're done here.
Kayteadee:  Come on, don't be like that. You know that I'm inherently lazy.
Dr. Smartypants:  DO IT.  TODAY.
Kayteadee:  Fine, FINE.  What's so great about it anyways?
Dr. Smartypants:  Katey Sagal.  Imagine Carmella Soprano, but in charge of everything the way Livia was and with black hair that has crazy blonde streaks that your cousins in the rust belt might have.
Kayteadee:  How did you know?  I've never shown you pictures of them.
Dr. Smartypants:  {{Grin}}

And that was how it began.  I didn't immediately get my ass to Le Target to get the DVD but I did get home that night and explore some of the on demand promos for Season 2 of Sons of Anarchy.  It looked... promising.  The fact that Charlie Hunnam looked so pretty didn't hurt.  So, one evening when I was bored and the LSH was in some far-flung four star restaurant eating a steak the size of my head on the client's dime office park toiling away for his corporate overlords, I got this ass to the store and picked up Season One.  And I watched the shit out of it.

In fact, I told the LSH that I was watching it and that he would really, really like it.  He asked that I wait before watching any more before he got home so we could watch it together.  Uh.  Suuuuurrrrrre.  In the span of a week, I had watched all of Season One.  When the LSH got home we watched the whole thing over again from the beginning.  And then Season Two began.  And the dissertation progress improved to the point where I wrote so damn much controlled stuff during the day, that I needed to release my inner demon at night.  And the blog was born.

Okay, so what is the story of how you discovered Sons of Anarchy?  The comments section awaits.....

 

7 comments:

  1. I have been hooked to that show since the day it aired. Sons of Anarchy is literally like a drug for me. I remember seeing the previews for it and I just 'knew' that I had to watch it. It was a feeling that I couldn't miss it, like love at first sight.

    I absolutely LOVE Katy Segal's role, she's perfect for it. I've even sucked my husband, father in law and 1 of my BIL's into watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I like how you say you just knew. It sounds like true love ;)
    I wish I would have seen the previews for it but somehow I totally missed the previews for Season 1. I don't know if I wasn't watching a lot on FX then or it I was just in my own little world.

    Getting other people sucked into SOA is the most fun. I've converted my husband, my parents, and my in laws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I saw the previews for season one I knew that it was going to be a keeper. I set the alarms on both phones & the dvr so that I won't miss not even one second of this show. I have turned on both my sons and both my daughters to this show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So my hubby got me started watching during S2. I'm pretty sure this show was one of the reasons he acutally went out and bought a harley. I was just gonna sit for 5 min b/c I saw Henry Rollins, then I was hooked! SOA 4 LIFE! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe the show made him go out and get a bike. Or was it just the thing that pushed his decision over the edge? Too funny!

    Teri, that is a huge level of commitment. I am truly humbled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the previews and one of them had a clip of Katey. Sold. When it started I was going to Bike Night every Tuesday and I started having to leave at 8:45 :)

    My boss and one of my co-workers saw a pic on my computer at work (the logo as my background) and I told them to check it out. So when Season 2 came on NO work could begin on Wednesday until we'd had a nice long cathartic discussion.

    Then they brought Henry Rollins on (my hero since my teens) and shit....I was a goner for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you and the coworkers had to have a "long cathartic discussion" about the episode.

    ReplyDelete