Monday, March 1, 2010

The Awesome Saturday of Gemma's Sunglasses

So two awesome Sons of Anarchy related things happened on Saturday.  As all three of my loyal readers know, I've been bellyaching about Gemma's sunglasses for a long time now.  In fact, I even obsessed about it to tracking them down and blogging about it.  Well, an attentive reader pointed out that there was a similar pair at Target.   So guess where I drug the LSH on Saturday under the auspices of buying sunscreen for vacation?

And while that pair was certainly there, they were HUGE.  But there was another pair.  Squareish, gradient lenses with a brownish-purple cast to them.  Metal frames.  I swear to you, dear reader, I put them on and I heard a choir of angles singing This Life.  These would do.  They'd do until I could replenish the sunglasses fund to buy the real ones (Who knew car maintenance would turn out to be so fucking expensive?).  And basically, I'm lurking on BlueFly every damn day waiting for them to appear so I can get them at a somewhat reasonable price.


Speaking of price, I paid a whopping $16.99 plus tax for them.  Astounding, no?  I mean, the economy is in the shitter right now and it seems a little foolish to spend $400 on a pair of sunglasses.


A side view.  Nice, no?  Although, I must admit it took me A WHILE to find a pair that wasn't bent to shit because apparently it's totes okay to let your kids play with the sunglasses while you shop for socks. Yes, blonde lady in sweatpants and uncombed hair, I'm talking about you and your two little hellions.


Finally, there is one last bit that I am not too wild about: the side arms/legs.  The thickness just suggests glasses worn by a certain Former Governor of Alaska.  I'm not crazy about it but I'll live with it.  

So as soon as the LSH and I got to the car, I gingerly took off the price tag, madly polished them up and put them on.  This was our exchange:


LSH:  What are you twelve?  Couldn't you wait until we got home?
Me:  Nope (with a grin)
LSH:  Why do those look familiar?  I feel like I've seen them before.
Me:  Oh, you have.  Or at least something similar.
LSH: ......
Me:  They are knock offs of Gemma's sunglasses!  Aren't they great?
LSH:  Ohmyfuckinggod.  You are a crazy fangirl.
Me: Yes, but now I'm a crazy fangirl with Gemma's sunglasses. (puts them on)
LSH:  Let me see.  (pause)  Those are ridiculous.  Huge.  You look like an insect.
Me:  But Gemma doesn't look like an insect.
LSH:  (silently shakes head)


So off we go to rent some movies for the weekend.  And lookie what Blockbuster finally had in stock:



It was as if the Sons of Anarchy gods were smiling down upon me.  Some local asshole has had Green Street Hooligans out for like the last six fucking months. At the checkout the little fascist behind the counter wanted to charge us a $2.50 restocking fee because someone didn't return Whip It on time.  Yes, it was me.  The LSH would never, ever rent that.  I admit it.  I don't know what came over me but I went all Gemma on her ass.  The exchange was: 

Clerk:  Your account shows you owe a $2.50 restocking fee for Whip It
Me:  What?  No, we don't.  
Clerk:  Since you didn't return in within 10 days of rental we automatically consider it a sale and not a rental
Me:  (stoic) We just brought it back.
LSH:  (whispering) Easy, tiger
Clerk:  Since you technically bought it, when you bring it back we have to charge to restock it.
Me:  I didn't technically buy anything.  I rented a movie and brought it back.  Regardless of when I brought it back you'd have to put it back on the shelf anyways, right?  
LSH:  (silently stepping on my foot)
Clerk:  Yeah, I guess.  
Me:   So, I don't owe you a $2.50 restocking fee.  
Clerk:  Uh, okay.  I'll take that off your account.    
Me:  Thanks.  I'm glad we could see eye-to-eye on that
    
On the way to the car the LSH said, "What the hell got into you?"  I replied, "Must have been Gemma's sunglasses."

Oh, and Green Street Hooligans was excellent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment